Reign of technology

Technology rules our lives

Technology usage has become increasingly prominent in our society in recent years.

Christie Basson, Editor in Chief

In a world where we’ve all sold our souls, social lives, and self-image to the god of

technology, it’s becoming harder and harder to escape its grasp. We are swiping,

clicking, and flicking before we’ve wiped the sleep from our eyes, and we fall asleep

illuminated by a glowing screen. It’s no surprise, therefore, that technology has creeped

up even in the most basic aspects of our lives. However, the question arises: Is

technology becoming our crutch?

Millennial children are raised on Wi-Fi, tablets, and smartphones, resulting in a significant

dependence on technology. But it’s not just children or even teenagers who are relying

on the internet; in fact, studies show that six in ten people above the age of 65 go

online.

Technology is taking over, and humanity is lapping it up. We start squirming if we don’t

have something that requires a battery within grasping distance, we leave the television

on for background noise, and we document every second of our lives on social media. .

Of course, technological advances has always existed and humans have always

adapted to it – if we didn’t, we’d still be using typewriters or driving buggies. There

comes a point, however, when the line is crossed and technology plays too big a role in

our lives. We need to unplug, relearn what independence is and demand back our lives

from technology.

Social media is the staple to many of our lives – Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook

reflect more about us than our personalities do. And yet, while we’re snapping, tweeting,

and liking, we often ignore the actual faces around us. Worst of all, despite the

stereotypes of “the youth of today” studies show that the older generation (35-49 years

old) spend up to seven hours a week on social media, and entire hour more than 18-34

year-olds.

Even more disturbing, social media is slowly stealing our mental health. Sleep loss,

social anxiety, and an addiction to the approval of our peers (or even worse: strangers)

are all a byproduct of society’s kryptonite. You have to respond to a text now lest you

injure the feelings of a friend. You have to take and send this video now before the

moment passes. You have to post a selfie now because your account has been inactive

for 24 hours!

Another aspect technology has robbed us of is the satisfaction of discovery. If you have

a question, you google it. Gone are the days of science magazines, dictionaries, and

encyclopedias. Swept aside is the finely attuned skills of researching, the act of sifting

through armfuls of books until you emerge, victorious with the long-searched-for

information in hand.

Additionally, it pays to remember that Google is not the all-knowing, factual source we

accept it as. Anyone could publish anything, anywhere, on the internet right now.

Opinions, complaints, lies, it’s all fair game on the open page of the internet. When we

have a question, we tap a few keys and within four seconds we have 908,000 results.

We watch how-to videos on YouTube, stream live shows through Netflix, and order

overnight shipping through Amazon. No wonder our elders are constantly telling us we

don’t know the value of hard work – everything is at our fingertips.

Technology has also become a danger – besides the obvious landmines such as

cyberbullying, internet-date rapes, and identity theft, technology has become a

distraction. Despite being aware of the danger, 660, 000 people still opt to use their cell

phones while behind the wheel, resulting in 1.6 million crashes a year. In fact, studies

show that you are six times more likely to crash while distracted by your phone than

when you are drunk.

Car crashes are not the only dangers technology offers. Focusing on your phone often

leads to an obliviousness to your surroundings – best-case-scenario you walk into a

lamppost. However, the repercussions of distraction are often much more nefarious.

From walking into traffic while jamming to your headphones to being cornered in an

alley while your eyes were glued to the screen, danger springs from everywhere when

your brain is otherwise occupied.

Of course, it is impossible to discredit the advantages of technology. Medicine, space

travel, education, in fact every aspect of society, relies on the advancement of

technology. Critics argue that there is no way for the human race to go but forward. We

rely on technology for existence, and for the most part, the results are positive.

Technology is helping us discover more about the world every day.

However, we must draw the line. A cell phone is not a necessity for survival. Wi-Fi is not

a basic right. You will not spontaneously combust if your every move remains

undocumented. Technology should not be the basis of our lives and it is not necessary

to glue society together. The examples set by our elders isn’t encouraging teenagers to

put down the electronics and peer pressure is a constant weight on the backs of every

school student. Therefore we must each take stance – close the screen and live in the

now. Technology and its dangers are going nowhere.