Bumper to bumper

Student parking creates problems

Brittany Taylor

Bumper to bumper cars parked in the school parking lot and along the side streets cause problems.

Adrianna Romero, reporter

Everyday students, teachers, and parents crawl like turtles in the parking lot, trying to get home or elsewhere. Given that there isn’t a lot of room in the parking lot and there isn’t room to turn around or get out quickly, there should be more spaces added. In addition to this, there are only two adults to direct traffic. Students and teachers are hopeful that new renovations to the school will include added space and directions to help the flow of traffic. Student safety measures should be a priority.

There is quite a bit of traffic on the school streets throughout the day. Some students may leave school early and having to cross the street isn’t an easy task. Students that have to cross the street have to either wait a while for a nice driver to let them pass, or they have to run across the street.

Secondly, our small lot and narrow spaces are a huge hardship for the big pickup trucks which are very common here in Texas. There have been a few minor fender benders on campus. These have been unintentional but happened because there is not enough space for students’ trucks. People with big trucks have to make wider turns to to get around obstacles. Normally this wouldn’t pose a problem; however, as student enrollment has grown, so have the problems.. With more space in the parking lot, accidents like can be prevented.

Some people may say getting a new parking lot would cost a lot of money, but that factor could be fixed by budgeting and adding more parking spaces over a period of a few years.

The amount of time for the  wait to get in-and-out of the parking lot takes an average of 10 to 15 minutes for a parent or student. With more than one exit for the cars, the commute time would significantly decrease which in turn would lead to a decrease in frustrations from all parties involved. Many people have stated witnessing students and parents going over the curbs out of frustrations of a time consuming wait in traffic.

Some teacher’s have to park in the street even though they have a designated parking space, when others take their spot due to not having enough parking for everyone.

There needs to be an improvement on the functionality of the parking lot and additional space accessible for the student body. The teachers and students need more room to park and a safer way to get across the street.