The Champions' Journal

Blast from the Past

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blast from the Past

Andrea Garcia

Roseanne is a TV show that ran from 1988 through 1997. The revival will contain eight new episodes. The show picks up where it left off. The main characters are the Connors family who are still struggling to deal with economic challenges-just getting by paycheck to paycheck in  2018. The cast includes Roseanne Barr, John Goodman, Sara Gilbert, Laurie Metcalf, Lecy Goranson, Michael Fishman, and Sarah Chalke.

At first, I was nervous to see if the show would be the same, and it didn’t disappoint. Everything is the same, even the awful jokes. The only difference is that everyone has all grown up. Lecy Goranson, is back as the younger sister, which I’m happy to see. She was one of my favorite characters because I related the most to her. When they brought in Sarah Chalke, I didn’t feel the same chemistry.

From the beginning of the first episode, Roseanne (Roseanne Barr) and her husband, Dan (John Goodman) try to catch up to the modern era by telling jokes, but I felt no connection until the second episode when the nerves were calmed down. The show is about a family we all relate to and say, “That is so us,”.

In the new episodes, the director shows how recent political drama has affected the relationship between Roseanne and her sister, Jackie. This relates to many families now, but what the series shows is that no political drama will ever keep families apart.

The show was great, but it felt like the characters weren’t completely into the show, and that made me feel uncomfortable because I expected more from one of my past favorite TV shows. It isn’t the same as before, but if you grew up watching the show you definitely will still feel the nostalgia.

As each episode comes out, the humor improves. Anyone who has seen this show in the past will forgive the first few episodes because of how well the performance recovers. After all, this show has had a 20-year break. Obviously, it was going to take them a couple of episodes to get back into the swing of things. The characters have proven with their dry sense of humor that the show is worth watching. You will love it.

I definitely recommend the show, not only is it one of my favorites, but it’s also a good laugh. So next time you have a free hour, I recommend you sit down and watch Roseanne. Not only will you connect with the show you will also find solutions for your own problems.