Painting victorious masterpieces

Art students advance in the VASE contest

Emily McLemore

Emily McLemore’s Art students successfully compete in the Regional VASE competition.

Madelyn McKenzie

Every stroke of a paint brush carries a vibrant color as it creates a masterpiece of self-creativity. When the art piece is complete, it is put up for judgement. As the rest of the art displays are put up to be judged, art students from all around compete in the Visual Art Scholastic Event, or VASE competition.

The VASE contest involves all kinds of art students competing. They can range from 1-4 types of divisions, but all of them start at the regional level. Students that are in Art 1 have a placement in division 1, Art 2 students in division 2, and so on.

“Students can enter art pieces under 2D, which is any creation in any media that is meant to be viewed from one side, and 3D, any creation in any media that is meant to be looked at in 360,” art teacher Emily McLemore said.

The highest placement that can be given to a student at the contest is a 4 for their artwork with 1 being below average and 4 rating superior.

“The highest placement I’ve ever received was Area,” senior Haylea Keith said. “I compete in Drawing and/or 2D. This year the pieces were mostly split between 2D and 3D.”

After a student earns a 4 on their art piece at the Regional meet, they can move up to Area and then onto the State level.
“The art pieces that advance to Area will have a shot at going to State, but few are chosen to go to State,” McLemore said. “However, a student can still have a perfect score at the Regional meet and not advance to State. At least 4 art students from SHS have received a perfect score at the Regional meet but didn’t qualify for State.”

30 students from SHS competed at the recent VASE contest and freshman Kiley Chaplin’s art piece advanced to State.

“Only 2,323 art students advanced to the State competition,” McLemore said. “So this means she is in the top 6% of all art students in the state. At the State meet, her piece will be judged again. The State competition is April 26th and if she receives a 4, she will earn a state medal. If she is one of the 100 best in the state, she will earn a Gold Seal.”

However, this contest is more than just another show and tell for artists, but rather it’s a way of showing off their unique art style put up to the test.

“All contests are important for students as it gives validity to the work that they do on a daily basis,” McLemore said. “Without competition, students and community members wouldn’t know that they are really that good.”

Even though the contest is judged by degrees art professionals, it gives art students the chance to receive professional comments about their artwork.

“This contest allows us to show the world who we are as artists through the techniques and and individual style of each contestant,” Keith said. “It’s a helpful way to showcase the creative minds of our generation.”

Emily McLemore
Kiley Chaplin and her artwork are advancing to the State VASE contest.