DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in state competition

Ashley Martinez

As energy flows from person to person and awards are being announced, the effort and time spent practicing and role playing is finally about to pay off.

“Preparation is the hardest part of competition,” Mrs. Burks said. “Practice tests and role plays are crucial.”

This year, DECA was given recognition for successfully completing the National Membership Campaign as well as adding 20 new members.

“Any student can have the potential to be a DECA competitor,” Mrs. Burks said. “Most competitors wish that they had become a DECA member sooner in their high school career.”

DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality, and management and members who are a part of this organization are more actively involved in school.

“I expect my DECA members to use critical thinking and problem solving,” Mrs. Burks said. “DECA’s competition events contribute to every student being college and career ready when they graduate from high school.”

DECA is nationals bound with Victoria Permann and Savannah Ivey attending 2-day Ignite Academy and Kendra Roberson attending the 2-day Elevate Academy. they will attain skills in the areas of collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity. Carys Hooper will be participating in the competitive event Hotel and Lodging Management. She will complete a cluster exam and role plays. The International Career Development Conference (ICDC) will be April 21-24 in Atlanta, Georgia at the Georgia World Congress Center.

“It has been an honor and a privilege to be part of my DECA members’ high school journey,” Mrs. Burks said.