Science more than experiments

Students join Science organizations that open gates for future endeavors

Andrea Garcia and Madelyn McKenzie

From the creation of the smartphone to new medical equipment, science and technology make the world go around. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) careers are a huge part of society and are some of the most in-demand jobs today.

Various organizations such as WIT and POWER SET allow students, to experience  science in more ways than they ever had before. This allows young women and men who are interested in a STEM careers to level the playing field for future generations.

The POWER SET organization stands for, “Powerful Opportunities for Women Eager and Ready for Science, Engineering and Technology”. It involves 20 members and the group is involved with outreach on other campuses. Students get to visit colleges and industries all over the state, all expenses paid.

“STEM careers continue to grow and are integral to society. Our department strives to provide students with the necessary tools and opportunities to pursue any STEM career,” Kathleen Huckabee, POWER SET sponsor, said. “We are consistently looking for any way to improve!”

POWER SET is very valuable to girls working in the scientific fields that may revolve around engineering or medical careers that they choose to take.

“I think it’s nice because this specific one is only for girls so we can see others who want to pursue careers in a STEM field,” Vice President of POWER SET, Katelyn Barry said. “It’s empowering to know that the science, technology, engineering, and math fields are not only for males.”

Overall, the POWER SET organization really gives girls the strength and knowledge to go into scientific fields that may be looked upon as something that seem like a girl couldn’t do.

“I think POWER SET is a great organization to anyone who even thinks the STEM field is for them, I wasn’t sure when I joined and I love it,” Barry said. “It has open my eyes to many other careers I didn’t think I would enjoy but it fascinates me.”

On the other side of the spectrum, the WIT organization stands for, “Workforce Industry Training” and helps both male and female students with finding a career in the science, technology, math, and engineering fields.

“I think that it is a really wonderful opportunity that the school has given us to be able to see real jobs in the workforce that we could go into by applying the concepts we learn in science classes,” Hunter Underhill, a member of WIT, said. “Joining WIT has really increased my understanding of the workforce and the jobs that I have. It has made me sure that the degree I plan to pursue will have plenty of jobs that I can use it for.”

When asked about his favorite experience in the program he responded with the following, “The best moment for me being involved in the WIT program is when we created our own labs and went to present them to the Junior High School students for the goal of peaking their interest in science and mathematics”.

WIT provides the high school students with the tools that they’ll need as they progress through the STEM fields and into their career path.

“We have been able to take 21 students all over the state of Texas on college and industry visits to expose them to the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics,” Brian Salge, sponsor for WIT, said. Students have had hands on experience with industry partners as well as educational institutions,”

WIT began recently this past year and has been leading students who want to advance in their career path the opportunity to do so.

“WIT is sponsored and funded by the Nuclear Power Institute in cooperation with Texas A&M and TEES,” Salge said. “They wanted to expand into more North Texas schools and we were selected and invited to join after meeting with head people from NPI.”

Finally, students who would like to join WIT have to achieve certain requirements before they can actually join.

“The WIT program is open to junior and senior Texas high school students at least 14 years old with a minimum GPA of 2.5,” Salge said. “Participants must be a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen authorized to work in the United States with an interest in pursuing a STEM technical degree. Other application requirements include:Formally submit an application for membership, if male, meet U.S. Military Selective Service registration requirements,If female, cannot be concurrently participating in the POWER SET program,”

With both POWER SET and WIT giving opportunities for a multitude of students, it’s presenting them a path toward a brighter future.

“Being able to take students and show them real world applications of the things we learn in class has been the most satisfying thing for me as a teacher. I am looking forward to growing this program over the coming years to show more students what lies out there in the real world,” Salge said.