HOSA members presents portfolio at area contest

HOSA helps students as well as community

Denise Hernandez and Fabiola De Los Reyes, HOSA members, speak about the club’s benefits.

Vickie Amos, Journalism Teacher/Sponsor

The HOSA Club coached by Allen Mays will be attending area competition to present a portfolio on Community Awareness of Depression Feb. 3, 2018 at Copperas Cove High School.

The students chose their topic from a prepared list for the contest and worked all year on preparing the portfolio. If chosen as one of the top three teams, the HOSA students will advance to state competition where they will present the same portfolio. The team members are: Allee Mainord, sophomore; Allysa Ebeling, senior; Denise Hernandez, senior; Sidney Boyton, senior.

“Basically, we present information over depression and try to make people more aware of the issue,” Ebeling said.

The students get the information out about depression through the community, in the classroom, in the newspaper, in posters, and in flyers.

“We want people to know that if you are affected by depression, it is nothing to be ashamed of,” Ebeling said.

Presenting the depression portfolio at area contest is just one aspect of the Hosa Club.

“HOSA stands for Health Occupation Students of America and helps you navigate or decide what career path you want to go into for college,” Mainord said.

Another aspect of HOSA is competing in numerous contests such as dentistry, pharmacology, veterinary science and the preparation that goes into them.

“This teaches us professionalism skills, research skills, computer skills, how to treat patients emotionally, etc.,” Hernandez said.