Purpose in school

Junior’s passion drives her love for school activities

Cinthia Ruiz, Editor-In-Chief/Reporter

As the girl plays the flute, she falls in love with the melodic sound it makes. It is here in the band hall that she feels the most comfortable doing what she loves the most. 

“I really enjoy playing the flute,” junior Elisabeth Cochran said. “The sound is soothing.”

Her second love is writing and copy editing for the newspaper class. 

Junior Elisabeth Cochran has participated in band for six years now, but this is Elisabeth’s first year in the Newspaper Class. Elisabeth feels inspired to be in the Newspaper class taught by the Newspaper teacher Ms. Vickie Amos.

“She asked me to join her Editorial team last year, and I really enjoyed it,” Elisabeth said, “ so I decided to actually join the newspaper class to get the full experience of it.”

She finds the newspaper class really interesting because of the variety of things the students learn how to do such as social media and other types of writing.

“I really like it, and I feel like we’re doing pretty good on posting things that might be helpful for everyone.”

Elisabeth believes that high school band is more productive and more exciting than 6th grade band.

“I definitely like it more than 6th grade band or junior high band because you just go to concerts, but with high school band, you get to go to all the football games, and it’s a better experience.” she says.

Elisabeth looks up to her section leader, Sydney, because of how much work she puts in the band.

“She is a really awesome person and a great flute player,” Elisabeth said, “ and she inspires me to do better in band and better in general.”

These two extracurricular activities, band and newspaper, are very important to her because they keep her busy and stay on task with school.

“They give me something to look forward to everyday and they give me something to enjoy as well as meet new people and friends.” 

Overall, Elisabeth has set her priority to the band and the newspaper class . She believes it’s something that she’s very passionate about.