A Night to Remember

Is Prom Worth it?

Kailei Pritchard, Editor

Throughout the history of schools, prom has been seen as an experience every high school student should have. Teens all over the country have been searching for the most elegant prom dress or the perfect tuxedo to match their prom date. This is an exciting time for upperclassmen to make memories with each other before graduation. These memories can go down as the best experiences of your high school career.

With checklist upon checklist, students cross off items they need to acquire for their fun night. So much time and money goes into making this event the best night of their lives. But is prom really worth it? Is the stress to find that perfect dress with the best accessories or to find a date worth it? I believe that prom is worth it. You have to make it a night to remember, or all that time and effort won’t matter. Prom may not be the way it is portrayed in the movies, but having fun with your friends and dancing the night away comes pretty close.

“I think of prom as a special night that happens once a year,” senior Tara Garza said. “You get to dress up, socialize, and have a good time.”

I do believe everyone should get the chance to attend prom, whether it be both years or just one. Getting the chance to get all your friends together to go eat and take fun pictures is what makes prom worth all the money. You don’t have to go out and buy the most expensive dress on the market. Get a dress that makes you feel good and look great. It’s a great experience to get out on the town and dance the night away. The memories you create with your friends is something you can take with you for the rest of your life.

“If you’re going to prom enjoy the moments,” senior Bailey Sanderford said. “Don’t worry how you look and make the most of it.”

Other people might say the expenses for the whole night isn’t worth it. Such as the dress, accessories, food, makeup, and hair. The effort to find the “right dress” and the “perfect date” is overrated and not worth all that stress. On average, girls spend between $100 to $600 on a dress they only will wear once. Along with accessories most girls will spend between $25 to $200 on heels, jewelry, and hair accessories. To get into prom most tickets cost between $70 to $100. For the whole night most people spend between $175 to $2100.

Overall, I believe prom is something you should try to attend. It’s a tradition around all schools that every student should try to attend. You’ll get to make memories with your friends that you can take with you for the rest of your life. You don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to make this night the best one, find the prices that work for you and rock that prom dance floor.