FCCLA lives up to their name

Six+FCCLA+teams+placed+in+the+top+6+at+the+Region+II+Leadership+Conference+in+Waco+and+advanced+to+State.+

Christie Richmond

Six FCCLA teams placed in the top 6 at the Region II Leadership Conference in Waco and advanced to State.

Daniela Guerra and Paola Garcia

FCCLA is a school organization that was originally created in 1945 as Future Homemakers of America, though the name was later changed to Family Career Community Leaders of America in 1999. This club focuses on preparing students to become leaders and provides them educational benefits in the Stephenville community.

“FCCLA prepares students to lead others, develop new skills, explore career opportunities, build strong families, and give back to their communities. One of the goals is to help students grow into successful adults,” Sponsor Beth Langley said.

These skills allow students to implement them into their future careers and guide them outside their comfort zone to grow and develop into their better selves.

“We took competitors to state, and two of us–myself and Alexis Graham–have moved on to national competition. Next year we hope to take a lot more to region, state and nationals,” President Mitch Deckard said.

These members competed at the State Competition in Dallas. Deckard and Graham placed 1st place and advanced to the National Competition in Atlanta, Georgia this summer to compete for scholarship opportunities.

“We do a lot of community service which I love doing. It gives people the chance to get to know high schoolers better and just to help out the community,” Member Alexis Graham said.

Not only does this organization offer personal and educational benefits, it a very casual way to hang and help out by attending to the community services they do all year long.

“I feel honored of being able to help my community that has given so much to me,” member Elena Balderas said.

FCCLA allows any student from any background and circumstance to participate. This organization involves 130 members and hopes to see the number grow throughout the year.

“Not only are the teachers amazing but so are the other members. It all feels like one big family. FCCLA gives you that place where you feel belonged no matter what,” member Macey Verner said.