School Board approves bond proposal, Informs community of final decision

Macie Kilgore

In order to renovate older buildings within the district, community members will vote on a $60.8 million bond proposal.

The initial proposal was approved by the school board at the January board meeting, and includes many potential fixes to both the intermediate and high schools.

“There are some needs in regards to safety and security when you look at an older building,” principal Stephanie Traweek said. “We also look at our various programs and want to offer as many opportunities as we could to our students.”

Traweek says that “[Students and staff] are outgrowing [their] facilities.”

“We looked at an additional wing for our CTE (Career and Technology Education) program, which is always growing, as well as our fine arts programs, among many others,” Traweek said. “We want to accommodate these students and programs.”

Although students and community members alike think a new high school would be more beneficial, Traweek says this is simply not reasonable.

“There’s lots of conversation going on as to why we don’t just build a new [high school],” she said. “When you look at money, you see that you have to almost double what we’re asking for already for a new facility. It’s just not feasible to ask the community for that.”

Community members will vote in May on whether or not to raise taxes in order to fund the bond. All of the information about the bond package can be found at http://www.stephenvilleisdbond.com/ .

“I know when you ask for money, people want to know why,” Traweek said. “We want them to be aware of what we’re asking for and we want to be very transparent with them. We’ll be visiting with community organizations and district personnel just to let them know what it is that we’re proposing.”

Traweek said that she would like students to “do some research” on the proposal as they’re forming opinions on it.

“There is a bond website we’ve shared with parents,” Traweek said. “I want students to see what’s being proposed and how it will impact them and our district. If they’re eligible to vote, I encourage them to do that and voice their opinion one way or another and research on what they’re voting for.”