FFA partners with Erath County Texas Farm Bureau, collects donations for Hurricane Harvey victims

Macie Kilgore, Editor-In-Chief

In order to help victims of Hurricane Harvey, the FFA chapter and Erath County Texas Farm Bureau(TXFB) Insurance company have taken and will continue to take supplies collected locally to emergency contact points in coastal cities.

After evaluating their common interests, the TXFB decided to partner with the FFA chapter.

“The TXFB knew we wanted to help in any way possible,” agency manager Andrew Schneider said. “We knew we would find a strong ally in Stephenville FFA to launch a group effort in order to make a larger impact.”

FFA had already considered something they could do to help.

“We had considered collecting monetary donations to contribute to the Texas FFA Disaster Relief Fund,” Ryan Best, FFA director, said, “but when we were contacted by the Erath County Farm Bureau office, we felt it was a natural fit to collaborate with them.”

FFA will help collect supplies and donations.

“Donations include bottled water, socks, undergarments, toiletries such as toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, other basic hygiene items, and baby items such as diapers, wipes, and baby food.” Best said.

TXFB took the first round of items to Refugio on Wednesday, Sept. 6.

“The Erath County agents (Ricky Thurman, Jamey Brown, Junior Garcia, Trenton Hunt, and Rodney Payne) loaded and delivered the supplies to be dispersed,” Schneider said. “We are planning several more trips down south over the coming weeks.”

Best said the student body can get involved by “bringing donations and encouraging their classmates and members of the community to do the same.”

“The students and faculty have compassionate hearts and always rise to the occasion where humanitarian efforts are concerned,” Best said. “It’s a testament to the values of our community.”

This isn’t the first service project under FFA’s belt; just last year, they organized a donation for the panhandle fires, which wiped out nearly 500,000 acres of land.

“When the panhandle fires were taking place, the schools rallied to collect a semi-load of water and toiletries in just a few days,” Best said. “There’s no doubt our students are driven to help their fellow man. Though we may not be personally affected by these tragic events, we are connected to those who are through a deeply ingrained need to be of service to others.”

TXFB will continue to accept donations as the need for supplies continues.

“Any and all donations are appreciated,” Schneider said. “The rush of support our state has shown defines what being a Texan is all about.”