College or bust

Future students will obtain degrees or certifications.

This wall displays a variety of colleges to promote future participation.

Gustavo Vasquez, Staff Reporter

When teenagers attend high school, they start making decisions as to their future. For years, as students got closer to walking the stage, they began to question whether or not to attend college. Nowadays, high school students have differing viewpoints. Some consider college to be a waste of time. Other students consider a college education to be a necessity for life in order to be successful and earn a satisfying salary regardless of how much money they will spend or how much time it will take to finish a four year college education. Evidence shows that in the near future a degree or certification of some type will become a necessity.

Past generations were able to obtain high-paying jobs without the necessity of a college education. Today however, many high-level jobs required a degree. It is estimated that the U.S. will grow from 140 million to 165 million jobs by 2020. By that time, 65 percent of all jobs in the economy will require postsecondary education and training beyond high school. At the moment, 35 percent of the job openings require at least a bachelor degree. Another 30 percent of the job openings in the U.S require some college or an associate degree and 35 percent of the job openings are not  requiring education beyond high school. The U.S is transforming from an economy based on manufacturing to an economy based on knowledge.

There are certain requirements which must be met to enter college such as test prep and grades. Most colleges consider acceptance by the SAT or ACT, ranking, GPA, and other extracurricular activities.  Students start losing hope and think they do not have a chance for a better education, but there is a second option. That second option is a community college. A community college offers options to students to get the education of their dreams. Not only is it affordable, but junior colleges typically offer more alternative scheduling options plus one or two year certifications. As the economy keeps advancing and changing throughout time, so does salaries. It is well known that a college graduate will typically earn more money than someone who graduated with just a high school diploma. According to Simply Hire, the average college graduate earns an average salary of $46,000 per year, but later the earnings will increase with experience. Someone who graduates with a high school diploma, will earn a lower income per year in most cases. Simply Hire states that a worker who did not attend college earns the average of 32,000 per year and will slowly get a higher wage that is not comparable to a college graduate.

Although a college student will earn more than a high school graduate, a lot of people argue that college graduates will end with a large student debt for the rest of their life. According to Simply Hire, in 2015 the average debt for a college graduate was $30,000, but the combination between scholarships opportunities and federal aid options make college a reality for students who are serious about obtaining a degree. Students will not have to graduate with a huge amount of debt. They will graduate with small portion of debt. Most students are realizing that college is within reach and that money will not be an issue.

A college education will become a necessity as our economy changes and the population increases. Students who attend college will not only benefit by earning more money, but also by becoming the leaders of society. In order for students to know that there are options and opportunities to attend college, they have to be informed more clearly, so they can explore their desired career. Anyone can attend college if they truly want to. There are a variety of ways to get financial aid to attend college: government loans, grants, and scholarships. According to Federal Student Aid, another way to get financial help is through the military. If you plan to serve in the Air Force, Navy, or Marines, you will get a lot of aid while attending college. Also, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides tax benefits to students. One way to take advantage of that opportunity is to apply for The American Opportunity Credit. It allows you to claim up to $2,500 per student per year for the first four years of school as the student works toward a degree or similar credential. Another application that parents can fill out is the Lifetime Learning Credit. This Credit allows the parent to claim up to $2,000 per student per year for any college or career school tuition and fees, as well as for books and supplies. There are a lot of ways students can now get scholarships. They have to go and find the different types of scholarships. Below are ways to get information for financial aid. Start planning your future today.