Well it’s not going to lift itself!

Powerlifters prepare for regional meet

Regional qualifier, Mallory Gunner, places at her first powerlifting meet of the season.

Mariana Reyes, Photographer

Behind all the dropped bars in the weightroom, callused hands, wrapped knees, and veiny arms comes determined powerlifters. As this season comes to an end, these athletes are beginning to work harder than ever to prepare their bodies and minds for regionals.

Regional qualifiers are: Haden Carrillo, Maeci Ray, Marianna Reyes, Baylie DeViney, Jessica Ebeling, Mallory Gunter, Alexus Duckett, and Nadine Arredondo, Ragan Wood, Keith Ray, Nathan Martin, Isaac De La Cruz, Hunter Mayo, and Tyvon Robison.

“The biggest difference in regional/state meets is the number of lifters. At any given meet you can have anywhere from 200-300 lifters; at the Regional meet you typically only have 12 lifters per weight class so your flights go a lot faster and you lift sooner than you do at a qualifying meet. Other than that, it’s just like any other meet,” girls coach Eric Rivas said.

The boys team is doing great as well especially with all the new lifters who joined this year. The coaches spend many hours a week planting a seed to grow in these athletes. With regionals approaching this time of the year, coaches are preparing to bring the best out of their athletes.

“Currently we have six boys going to regionals which is a great number. Especially since we have a lot of new young powerlifters but those guys have been focused and gotten work done,” boys powerlifting coach, John Harrell said.

Like any other sport, powerlifting doesn’t just teach you athletic abilities, it teaches you skills you can use throughout your entire high school career.

“Without powerlifting I wouldn’t have met many friends I did in highschool and formed such strong bonds with my coaches and other lifters” former powerlifter and current powerlifting manager Jaime Merrill said.

Coaches and teammates both play a great role in motivating lifters. Pushing them to their limits, and offering every form of support available, while also applying helpful criticism in order to better their athletes.

“Being a part of this powerlifting team has taught me to compete with others at my highest athletic ability and open my mind to get motivated by teammates and coaches. My coaches push me to my breaking points just to help me get weight up that I never thought I would ever be able to lift,” freshman powerlifter Dillon Schumann said.

As spring approaches many athletes are faced with difficulties arranging their schedules to fit all sports into their free time but the coaches offer a lot of support and think diversity in extracurricular activities is vital.  

“I think it’s important that athletes play more than just one sport. That helps to better their athletic abilities in many ways. Especially when they’re playing many different sports year-round”, Harrell said.

Being a part of the team has given many experienced lifters the chance to form a strong coach-athlete bond. Along with physical training, great wisdom is also applied to these students lives.

“Coach Harrell and I have formed a great bond throughout the multiple powerlifting seasons I’ve been coached by him and i’m glad he’s been able to give me positive mentoring throughout my highschool career,” senior powerlifter Ragan Wood said.

Coaches Harrell and Rivas also have huge goals for their athletes, although they want their athletes to compete to the highest of their abilities, they also want their students enjoying their role in their team along the way.

Rivas agrees, “My goal for my athletes is to be better than they were when they started.  Not only stronger, but to believe in themselves more. That’s why I love powerlifting, it’s the athletes against the bar…competing against their own self and seeing what things they accomplish that they didn’t think they ever could.”