Computer Science introduces new language to students

Kailei Pritchard

Sabrina Perez, Kayla Smith, and the rest of Mrs. Lewis’ action class participate in Hour of Code on December 13th.

Kailei Pritchard

On December 13th during Action Period our school discovered a new language: coding.

The computer science teacher, Jocelyn Etters, is presenting a short video and activity over coding. Computer science students will help teachers with the presentation and it’s going teach students about coding. Since technology is growing rapidly, this career path would benefit students in the future because of the high paying salary and creativity.

“Computer science is new to the high school,” Etters said. “I really wanted to give it an extra push and expose everybody at the school to coding.”

Coding has changed a lot over the years from being a blank screen with a white cursor to simply dragging and dropping blocks into place to make a code. It’s more interactive and the logic behind it has become easier for people to understand.

“It’s more like a puzzle and the students can grasp that,” Etters said. “We just want them to figure out how it all works and have fun while they do it.”

Being able to code gives students the ability to create whatever they want, such as apps, games and animations, webpages and so much more. It’s a great way for students to get innovative, get out of their comfort zone, and play around with different things.

“Technology is something that students like to play with,” Etters said. “In this class, you get to create it which is my favorite part.”

This opportunity is also great for the computer science students. Getting the chance to take on the task of mentoring their peers on how the coding process works help them out, too.

“It was nice,” computer science student, Jessica Noyola said. “A lot of them were surprised that they could do it and they were excited. It is something that often people believe they can’t do until they try it.”

Coding also offers UIL contests such as: code-a-thons, hack-a-thons, and all other kinds of computer science technology competitions.

“When we get to the point where we can establish a club, we have the ability to travel and compete,” Etters said. “I think it would be an exciting thing to do.”

Computer science is a valuable skill, it’s about logic, problem solving, computational thinking, and big ideas you can take with you anywhere in life.

“I think it will be a big deal,” Etters said. “It’s a powerful thing when you get to say, ‘Hey I know how to do this, and I want to show you how’.”