Upward Bound prepares students for college

Upward Bound is a federally funded educational program within the United States. The program is one of a cluster of programs now referred to as TRIO, all of which owe their existence to the federal Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 (the War on Poverty Program) and the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Right at Tarleton University we have an Upward Bound program. Upward Bound means more than just an educational program to the members, it means family.

Jenny Watts, the director of UB, explains what it is in her own words.

“Upward Bound is a college prep program funded by the U.S. Department of Education designed to help high school students from low income families, of which neither parents have received a college education succeed in high school and enroll in college successfully.”

Upward Bound helps a lot of of students, but they have requirements to apply. They need to confirm that the students that get in really want it or need it.  

“Upon application, students must attend one of our eight target schools, be a freshman or sophomore, and qualify as first generation and/or demonstrate financial need.  With TRIO ( a federal outreach and student services programs in the United States designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. They are administered, funded, and implemented by the United States Department of Education.) grants such as UB, a first generation student is one whose parents/guardians do not have a bachelor’s degree.  Low-income is determined by a student’s family taxable income.  Anyone wanting clarification on the income qualifications is always welcome to contact the UB office and one of our staff would be happy to answer their questions.  To be clear, a student does not have to be both first generation and low-income. They can qualify as one or the other,” said Watts.

Upward Bound targets certain schools near Stephenville.

“UB serves 95 students from nine area high schools (Comanche HS, De Leon HS, Dublin HS, Gustine HS, Huckabay HS, Iredell HS, Stephenville HS, and Walnut Springs HS),” said Watts.

Each school year, someone in UB goes to these schools to tell students about the program to try to recruit them.

“Each October, we send a program staff member to do a presentation for prospective students about our program services and to encourage students to apply.  We are also very active with our social media accounts which tends to create awareness of the program as well as spotlight the accomplishments of our students.  But to be clear, we only recruit students in the Fall,” said Watts.

Students usually don’t enjoy going to school on Saturday’s, but UB makes it interesting.

“We try to hire academic instructors who are engaging and creative.  It is also important to us that UB provides academic experiences that they may not get in their high schools.  But honestly, I think the students are motivated by the social aspect of the program.  Upward Bound is a collective of students from different schools but share the same goals.  Often times UB students make lifelong friends with their peers.  While academic classes may not always be that exciting… the fact that they get to spend time learning with their friends is what makes it fun,” said Watts.

In UB you have to uphold your grades, so they try to encourage them to do their best.

“We let our students know that we believe in them and that we have faith that they will succeed.  We try to take time to do the little things to encourage students and remind them that they are important to us and that we are proud of them.  That really seems to go a long way in encouraging students to do their best,” said Watts.

Working alongside these kids for most of the school year and then some, makes the UB staff feel special connections with their students.

“Oh my goodness, yes!  I try to approach my UB students with the mentality of how I would want someone to approach working with my own children.  I say all of the time that I have the best job in the world.  Most often, I think I am more inspired by students than they are by me!,” said Watts.

Being in Upward Bound effects Watts in many ways,

“Upward Bound is extremely time consuming if you are genuinely invested in your job.  In fact, for me it’s not really a job as it is a basic part of my life.  Working with UB definitely involves my whole family.  My husband and kids either give up time with me so that I can work Saturdays and the summer program or they come along with me to UB activities.  Upward Bound is definitely time consuming but is worth it when you see students succeed,” said Watts.

At the end of the school year, most of the students hard work is rewarded by the summer program.

“The summer program is intense and exhausting but hands down it is the favorite part of the UB experience for the students.  Yes, students work hard during the summer program but they have a lot of fun too.  Again, I think it comes down to the social aspect that the students like so much.  Staying in the dorms with their friends makes going to class all day worth it.  Plus, we try to make the academic and elective classes engaging and fun as well.  I never really hear students complain about the classes… well, maybe math classes.  Haha!!  But, the summer program is an amazing experience and opportunity to learn what it is like to live on a college campus,” said Watts.

Watts has one last message she would like to give to students.

“Mostly, I want students who are motivated to go to college but not really sure how they will get there to know that this is the perfect program for them.  I am a first generation college student (my parents did not go to college) and so I know first-hand what it feels like to want to go to college but feel overwhelmed and intimidated in figuring out how to register for college entrance exams, figure out where to go to college, or how to complete college apps and financial aid.  My life’s passion is to make sure that other students have help getting to college,” said Watts.