United as team, driven by passion

Honeybees craving state championship

Photo Credit: Gracie Bales

Honeybees soccer celebrates becoming regional champs and moving on to the state tournament. in Georgetown against Athens.

Gustavo Vazquez, Staff Reporter

As the whistle blows for the first time on Jan. 10 in Decatur, the Honeybee’s soccer team looks forward to starting a fresh new season after 16 seniors graduated. Casey Weil, head coach of the girl’s soccer team, waits patiently on the sidelines hoping for another spot in the playoffs. When the minutes are up, the Bees take home a of 7-0 win which gives them a glance to their success.

The Honeybees geared up district with 5-3 after beating wylie in a penalty shootout.

Juniors Natalie Elizondo ,Karsyn Kimbrough, and sophomore Emily Kirbo are satisfied with the outcome of district.

“From my point of view, the team performed extremely well together. I believe the team will step up, knowing that it can impact our road to state. My goal for this season is to play as one team, not individuals,” Kimbrough said.

“The team performed quite well together. We all have the same goal and we are all working hard to play strong. Soccer has taught me to be tough and to take chances when I get them,” Elizondo said.

“We performed really good and I believed that we will continue because everyone’s works so well together. The teammates are so great. We get along so well and are there for each other in the hard times and the good times,” Kirbo said.

Coach Weil acknowledges this was a tough district but at the end he looks forward with hard work and knows the meaning of being successful with soccer.

“Our district was tough, so it  prepared us for the playoffs. We should do well as long as we are capable. I think success is the ability to make yourself successful at the same time as making others around you successful. If we are able to do that on a consistent basis then I do not care what is on the scoreboard, in my eyes we will always be winners,” Weil said.

Last season, 2015-2016 the Bees played 13-5-2. Throughout the playoffs, the Bees took the, bi-district victory against Bridgeport 7-1. They played through area, regional quarterfinal, and regional semifinals.

“I thought that we played very well at times, but we were inconsistent through district and the playoffs I felt that we came together and played more as a team. They were a very senior heavy team so the girls knew what was expected,” Weil said.

As of today, the soccer team continues that tradition even after sixteen seniors graduated. Two seniors, Savannah Alford and Kylie Wright, have grown as leaders to the team this season and will continue their passion for soccer at Midwestern University.

“I feel that the seniors have been key to our success. They have done an exceptional job making the underclassman feel comfortable. We have upperclassmen playing as they should and underclassmen stepping up in big ways. Their senior leadership has meshed the team together very well,” Weil said.

The team is rank fifth in state and have a ratio of more than 70 goals this season along with a 20-4 and being champions in the Knight of Columbus Tournament. Breanna Scroggins has kept a positive mine and momentum.

“We are very strong and we have our heads in the game, when we need to be set straight on what we are doing wrong, we tell each other on what we need to improve and we work as a team. Soccer is life for me. I  enjoy being with all the girls on my team. I like that I can go out there and defend my goal from opponents,” Scroggins said.

Another impact that has shaped the soccer team’s performance this season  are the nine freshmen who are setting goals for themselves and for the team.

Madison Wylie, goalkeeper,  Gracie Bales, forward, and haleigh Beam, outside midfielder, are striving for one main goal in their high school career. Win state!

“I’m really striving for State Championship. We have been working so hard and that’s the expectation. Before I graduate, I would like to keep playing in college. I look forward to it everyday. It was like a dream come true to be able to step on a field and play the game I love,” Bales said .

“My main goal is to win state! In all honesty, I truly believe we can. I also want to get a scholarship and continue to play in college. It’s impacted my life by giving me something to look forward to, the game, practices, tournaments and bus rides. It’s also made me work harder in school and strive to be the student athlete I can be. My greatest memory is definitely being 13-1 my freshmen year. I love being with my teammates and playing not only as a team but as a family,” said Wyly.

“Soccer keeps me busy and it has brought so many long friends into my life. I put so much heart and commitment into the game and I learned from my mistakes. My main goal is to win state and to receive a scholarship. I’d also like to hold the record for the most assists in a season,” Beam said..

The freshmen Honeybees have been playing at a very young age to get ready for state. Center midfield, Jimena Espinoza, has been influenced with soccer at a very young age by her brothers and parents.

“ Ever since I was little, I was always around soccer either my brothers would be playing or my family would be watching it on T.V  Soccer has made a huge impact on my life. I don’t think there is a day I don’t kick a ball. It  is my passion and I love the game so much. My goals are to keep working hard and continue being in varsity throughout high school. I believe we can win state,” Espinoza said

“Soccer was first introduced to me when I was four years old. I have been playing for ten years and I also been in four select teams and a couple of NPL(National Premier League) teams,” said Bale.

“ I played on club teams for about for six years.  It made me love the game and the teammates. I think paying soccer has been one of the best choices I ever made,” said Wyly.

“I have  been playing soccer for ten year now and I played for three different club teams. I play outside midfield and I love it because I get to assist a lot and I’m the main passing target for the team,” Beam said.

The Bees are now set to play Athens in the semifinal after beating Burkburnett 7-0 in bi-district, San Elizario 5-0 in Area, Brownwood 3-0 in regional quarter final and took an impressive win over last year’s state champs, Kennedale with penalties 3-1. The  Bees will play on Wednesday April 12 at 11:00 a.m in Georgetown.

“We just want to win and the girls are willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish our goals. We have allowed only a few goals and I’m pretty sure at this point in time we are paying extremely great.  We have really stuck to our guns,” Weil said.

The beautiful game does not only create hard working athletes or champions. It creates a special bond like family between the players and even the coach. Midfielder, Alexis De Los Santos, has treated the team like a family in the field and outside the field.

“I enjoy playing this sport because the team is like my other family. The game has taught me to not be selfish and play as a team. I think that if we play on our best abilities then we will make it to state this year,”  De Los Santos said.

“My team is a family. We all get along great and we work well with each other. I think most teams do not have this quality. We have always help each other,” Elizondo said.

“I enjoy the friends I get to make from playing this sport. Being as  close as we are improves how we play on the field,” Kimbrough said.

“It’s just a fun sport to play and when you have great teammates, it makes it even better,” Kirbo said.

“Soccer has taught me how to compete, but it also teaches me that you don’t always get your way and not everyone can win at everything. It teaches me how to work well with people  and do what is best for others. My best memories are the friendships that I have made with my players along the way. I would not trade that for anything,” Weil said.