Band solos, ensembles to advance to state

Macie Kilgore, Staff Reporter/News Editor

Band students will be advancing to state Solo and Ensemble, set to occur on Memorial Day weekend, after competing on February 4th.

Solo and Ensemble is an event in which students prepare pieces of music either by themselves or in a small group and compete in order to advance to the state level.

“Students prepare an individually performed piece that may or may not have a piano accompaniment, or a small group that could be a trio, quartet, quintet, or something similar.” Mr. Childs, band director, said.

The event is open to any students in band that would like to do it.

“Anyone that would to do a solo can do that,” Childs said. “The wind ensemble, our top group, is required to do either a solo or an ensemble.”

Each solo or ensemble is given a difficulty level, called a class. A class one is considered the hardest.  Students receive a certain “division,” or ranking, that may or may not qualify them for state. First division is considered “superior.” A student is eligible for state by receiving a first division rating on a class one solo.

“We choose the level of difficulty depending on their playing ability,” Childs said. “The students that are in the wind ensemble are encouraged to start as a freshman with a class two solo. After they make a first division on a class two solo, we recommend the next year that they do a class one.”

At contest, each solo or ensemble is judged by former or current band directors.

“Judges have an adjudication sheet that has the qualifications to make a first division,” Childs said. “If the students don’t meet all of those, they make a second division, and so on.”

As with many events, solo and ensemble requires a lot of preparation.

“Mostly, this is prepared on their own outside of class,” Childs said. “However, all of the band directors do some coaching. We also have private lesson staff that helps us out.”

Solo and ensemble is beneficial to students because it gives them time to develop skills that they may not have the time to learn individually.

“This is an event where students get to develop some skills that they might not necessarily get in a full band setting,” Childs said. “They get to work on more technique and ensemble skills, like how to balance and blend in a smaller group as opposed to the entire band.”

Forty-one students will be advancing to the state level this year.

“I’m really proud of these kids and the amount of work they put in for this competition,” Childs said. “I think that it shows the level of dedication of the students that are going.”