Tennis team serves a great season

Lucy Tackett and her tennis partner Aaron Stufflebean

Shannah Smith, Staff Reporter

A jump… a backhand… a block… a crossover… a double fault. After all of this, and so much more, the tennis team finished up their season having improved their skills and grown closer as a team.

Tennis is a game loved by many. It allows people another way to have fun outdoors and develop skills. According the the Better Health Channel, the game can lower your resting heart rate and blood pressure, all while increasing your reaction times. It is also a non-contact sport that is suitable for all ages. Tennis is offered here at our high school by Coach Frances Metzger, who has been coaching for many years.

“I coached in Granbury for about five or six years before coming here to Stephenville, and I’ve been here for about 10 years,” Metzger said.

“Though I want all of my athletes to have fun, I coach to win but do my best to allow all players their chance to play,”  Metzger said.

Since Henderson Junior High does not offer tennis to students, it can be difficult to find players for the tennis team.

“My strongest team was definitely last year. Sadly, 13 of them graduated, but I have one player this year who does have three years of previous experience,” Metzger said.

Many people who play tennis compete to eventually play the sport professionally.

“I think it’s everyone’s dream to play the sport they love professionally after graduating,” Lucy Tackett, junior, said.

Students find that there are many positives to playing tennis in high school.

“The positives of playing tennis is definitely making new friends and being able to connect with everyone on the team. We all had a fun year,” Tackett said.  

Dedicated players set goals for their seasons and work their hardest to accomplish them by the time the season is over.

“Being my first year in tennis, my partner Aaron Stufflebean and I set our goal to win at least one tournament. We accomplished this twice by coming in 1st place in two tennis tournaments,” Tackett said.