Robotics: more than just a competition

Team learns life skills

Mr. Birchfield directs students on constructing hardware.

This year the Robotics team attended the first World Championships in Houston, TX.

The students competed with one of the most complex robots the students in this program have ever attempted. The team has to take a basic idea and  collaborate together in a matter of minutes to problem solve and accomplish a task.

“Our record is 5-5, which did not give us a place or automatic advancement,” Allen Mays, head coach said. “However, the competition was very close with the best record being 8-2. We had two close matches that we feel we could have won with slightly better execution (i.e.e, doing what we normally do), and one other match that was very close and winnable. Winning one of those would have placed us in the top 12, two would place us top 10 and an automatic qualification, and all three would have tied us for 1st place.”

Mays said there have been several obstacles along the way.

“Beyond the challenges of the game and building of the robot, we had a team that was relatively inexperienced and trying to find its identity,” he said. “The kids already did a great job of finding the roles that fit and making the most of those opportunities. We also have a very low budget compared to most of the teams we compete against, even with the sponsorships and fundraising. I view that challenge as a real-world experience that most of us will have to deal with. Part of the purpose of the robotics program is learning to turn challenges into opportunities.”

Team members look on as Coach Mays discusses upcoming competitions.

The students agree with Mays.

“I feel it’s very challenging, and if you don’t prepare yourself for it, it will go really fast and sweep you over. You have to be responsible for what you do,” said Julian Smith.

Despite the challenges, Mays enjoys coaching the team.

“I assisted during the 2012 season, and I have been the lead coach for the past four seasons,” Mays said. “I started because it sounded interesting and fun, and the coach at the time needed someone to help. After attending my first event, I was hooked. Now, I am very excited about the possibilities. The program is so much more than robots, and we are just beginning to scratch the service of how impactful it can be.”

This year’s team has made an impression on Mays.

“Every year is new and different, even though many of the students are returning from the previous year,” Mays said. “This group had to learn how to step out on their own after a very vocal and talented leader graduated. They eventually did that, and did it well.”

Gabe Flores describes his first year as competition comes to a close.

“Everyone in the classroom feels connected and communicates easily.”

Mays is always looking for new team members, and students may wonder what it takes to join the robotics team.

“The only thing I look for is motivation,” Mays said. “Anyone can play a part as long as they are motivated to do so. There are so many opportunities that go well beyond building a robot. As long as a student is motivated to work for success, they will be successful and will have a role on the team.”