New percussion ensemble drums into SHS

The Stephenville Indoor Drumline prepares for a competition.

Dillon Shumaker, Layout Editor

The bright gym lights gleam down onto the floor while spectators eagerly await the next performance.  Songs play over the loudspeakers to appease their music-hungry ears. A voice rings out over the music and yells, “Start!”. The mass of performers and instruments begin to move over the center court line and, frantically, set up their equipment. Once all is still, the loudspeakers go silent and the ensemble begins. Soft music fills the walls of the gym and quickly crescendos into an epic euphony.

This is indoor drumline.

Last semester, Mr. Michael Wimberly, Associate Director of Bands and Percussion Specialist at Stephenville High School, started our very own indoor drumline. This year, their show is called Flow. The group is made up of 19 students and competes during the spring semester.

The administration originally wanted Wimberly to start an indoor group when he was first hired, but he felt that the percussion program needed time to develop.

“I asked the administration to give me three years in this position before we started. Indoor Drumline was also something I competed in during college and I have a passion for it,” Wimberly said.

Unlike the name implies, the ensemble not only consists of drums, but of many other instruments.

“Indoor Drumline consists of everything that is typically used during our marching season. The marching percussion includes: snares, tenors and bass drums. The front ensemble or the ‘pit’ includes: marimbas, vibraphones, xylophone, bells, synthesizers, bass guitar, electric guitar and a rack with all sorts of cymbals and sound effects,” Wimberly said

Caden Goodman, a senior electric guitar player, thoroughly enjoys playing with the ensemble and is fond of the opportunity to play the guitar.

“I love to play the guitar-it’s my favorite instrument to play-and indoor drumline is an outlet for me to do that,” Goodman said.

On the other hand, Rayla Chacon, a junior vibraphone player enjoys indoor drumline because of the social aspects.

“You get to meet all these people [at the competitions] from different schools-you get to see their show and you get to make friends from places that you may have never been able to,” she said.

Rayla Chocon warming up her vibraphone before competing.

Indoor drumline is not easy though; the show music has to be complete memorized for competition, and many hours of practice are required to make the show as best as possible.

“You have to be really committed to drumline because it takes up a lot of your time,” Chacon said.

Last Saturday, the group was placed second in their class at the North Texas Colorguard Association indoor percussion championships.

“The students are everything. The show and its success rely totally on them. They have worked so hard this year and it is a great experience watching each student grow musically,” Wimberly said.